Saturday, March 12, 2011

Soccer...?!

Let me just start this with saying how much i HATE running. With a passion. Now, i did play lacrosse in high school, and lacrosse has a LOT of running. But, you're running after a ball. I was also a gymnast in my earlier years but the longest distance a gymnast runs is the vault runway. So, I've never learned to love running. Even during the lacrosse years I hated it. I did, because if i didn't i would be a terrible lacrosse player, but i hated every minute of it. ha.
Yes, i was a hawk in my days. And i loved it!
Despite my hate for running, I don't mind sprinting and I don't mind chasing balls so much. However, when you play soccer, the ball's LONG gone by the time you get to it! There's no chasing! There's also NO scoring because it's impossible! So, I hate soccer. It's also way boring to watch. Ha.

Now, to the topic at hand... Our friends Blake and Nellie who we spend just about every free moment with are the Sports Coordinators for their ward. They felt like this calling meant they had to get a team to play every team intramural sport offered at BYU. There's lots of athletic people in their ward so naturally lots of people sign up. Unfortunately, those people have a problem with commitment, so they never show up! In their defense, sometimes the games are at weird hours, but still, Come on! So, since no one seems to want to come, Blake and Nellie enlist Justin and I to play. Now comes the dilema... I am TERRIBLE at soccer! We played in an all girls league last fall and I was terrible! I was there because there were never enough girls, but i seriously have no idea what i'm doing on the soccer feild. I can't even kick it straight much less try to make a goal?! Anyway, I said after the season (during which we won 0 games... embarassing!) that i would never play soccer again! So naturally, they made a co-ed team and enlisted us to play...

So here we are again! Interstingly enough, my hubby played soccer in high school, so he's pretty good. but some how, my friends think that because he's good, it means i'm supposed to be too. Ha. So the first week, we hadn't been enlisted yet and ended up forfeiting. The second week we played a team that was way good and ran up the score 12-0. We were man down the whole time and they had like 4 extra people to sub in. Plus they were all like socer super stars. It was rediculous and so not fun at all. We actually left really mad cuz of how rude they were. They talked major trash the whole game even though they were obviously better and then tried to shake our hands after and say good game. NO THANK YOU. It was not a good game and they made sure of that.


So we were obviously super excited for the next game. ha. We showed up and were man down again, but so was the other team, so it didn't matter. And they weren't very good, but neither are we. We have a couple guys from the ward that are pretty good, or atleast know what they're doing but the rest of us are there because we love blake and nellie. Ha. So we started the game and were actually doing ok. We're usually kinda all over the place but somehow this game we actually played. There was a little bit of strategy and we did pretty good! We actually won!!! Woohoo!! It was our first win ever. ha. (the boys had their own team and they were pretty good and won all the time, but it was the first time I had played in a game that we won.) :D The amazing thing isn't so much that we won though. I actually had a good time! Ha. Shocker! I played relatively well, had a header, a few shots on goal and a few nice bruises from the terf. I didn't make any shots, but i felt like i was kind of in the right place at the right time and it was actually kind of fun.


So today we had another game and we won again! It's kind of a cool feeling to win! I have to give the game ball to HEATHER SAMPSON!! Heather is my amazing sister that i adore! And she kicked serious butt today! She scored 2 of our 3 goals! I was so proud! Go heather!!!
Now, as fun as this particular game was, it was still hard! The other team had some way good guys on it, and some way good girls! They were also really nice and we had a good time playing. But it's not a soccer game for me with out a minor injury or 2. The other teams goalie actually really hurt his ankle and i feel bad. But for me, the pain is in my leg! We had just scored and the other team was about the kick off again. And a lot of times they just kick it right at the goal hoping to get lucky. Lots of people do it. So we do our best to block it before it even gets that far. This time, I happen to be right in the way of the ball and it hit my leg right on the inside of my thigh and left a HUGE mark!! It imprited the design of the soccer ball on my leg!!! Can you tell?! It was SO painful! Ha. Fortunately we didn't have to play for much longer after that, but i still can't believe i have a soccer ball design on my leg. Ha. Oh well! Battle scars! It's already starting to turn purple since i took this pic, so maybe i'll update you when it gets worse. ha.



Alright, that's a long enough blog for now. See you all lata!!

1 comment:

  1. Yesss :) I love it! And that mark looks GOOD girl! I'm excited for the tournament!

    P.S. Your blog address is jessieandjustinsmith.blogspot.com.... in case you were wondering. Haha

    ReplyDelete