Saturday, March 19, 2011

Learners inherit the Earth

In times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. ~Eric Hoffer

This quote was shared in my personal finance class. This class has been an interesting challenge for me. I generally do not know hardly anything about finance. ha. I'm terrible with money. I'm lucky to have a husband who is really good with money! But because of this class, I'm actually learning a lot. Stuff that I never thought I'd ever know anything about. The other day I was talking to my dad and he was teaching me about taxes and helping me with one of my assignments. Then later that day I was talking to my hubby about our tax returns and I felt like I actually knew what I was talking about! Ha. Now, I think I might be selling myself a little short here cuz I do know a few things about some stuff. ha. I'm about to graduate from BYU with a BS in Athletic Training. So there are a few things I do know a lot about. But this is one thing I really thought I was always gonna rely on my hubby for, so I was proud of myself for learning. 

He also mentioned something that President Packer said. I don't know the exact words he used, but it was something like "Study something for 2 hours every day for 2 years and you'll become an expert on that thing."  I hope that I can do that after I graduate and keep learning. I love learning about new things and I don't ever want to stop learning. 

I have to add a little something that my dad said about this quote. I sent it to him in an e-mail and he replied with "Some wisdom there.  Key is to also know which things never change, even when everyone says they do." He's absolutely right. There are some things that never change, like the Gospel. The Lord has never changed and never will. His love for me will always be there. And I'm so lucky to know that! Fortunately, wisdom is the only thing we get to take with us to the other side so I hope I can use this life to gain as much knowledge as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment