Sunday, June 19, 2011

I love you, Dad!

Maybe this is cliche, but since it's Father's Day, I want to write a blog about some of the "father's" i've known..

     I have had the privilege of knowing a lot of great men in my life. Both of my grandfather's are incredible people. They raised my amazing parents and I'll be forever grateful. Sterling Cheney, my dad's dad was incredible. I didn't know him nearly as well as I would have liked when he was alive, but I had the opportunity to transcribe his life story that he recorded before he passed away. He shared his tesimony a number of times and I felt the spirit so strong. He talked about the way he raised my dad and his siblings and it was so neat to listen to. The thing I remember most about him was his very wity, dry sense of humor. He was always cracking jokes, most of the time at other people's expense. In a good way! Ha. My mom's dad, Ronald Zirker, was also amazing. He was the hardest working man I've ever known! He raised my mom and her siblings to know the value of hard work and honesty and love. He was extremely loving and made sure everyone knew how much he loved you. When I was a little girl, I had a shirt that said "Girls are sugar and spice and everything nice, boys are snails and nails and puppydog tails." I would quote that to him all the time and he'd tickle me till I couldn't breathe! ha. When I got older, he quite pinning my down, ha, but he never stopped tickling my neck and giving me huge bear hugs! Both of these great men have passed away in the last couple years. It's been sad to be with out them, but I know they're enjoying their time on the other side, being missionaries and helping us down here. I can't wait to get to know them even better some day!

 
Urban Sterling Cheney                               Ronald John Zirker

     There are a bunch of other men that I've really looked up to and trusted. Mike Hudson is one of my dad's best friends and I've always thought of him as sort of an uncle. I trust him with my life and have always looked up to the way he protects his family and friends. Another is Opa Bergmann! He's my hubby's grandpa and he's an incredible man. He came to the US from Germany so he could have a better life with his family. The amount of strength he's shown over his years is amazing and Justin and I really look up to him. I also have to mention Gene Bergmann. He's Justin's uncle and has really taken care of us since we've been married. He's a wonderful person and has really made me feel like part of their family. I love being at their house!

The first man is Gene Bergmann and the second is Opa.

     There have also been a number of friends of mine who's parents have really taken me under their wing and treated me like their own kids! Kirk Hoopes, Gary Jones, Doug Later and many others. I've always felt comfortable in their homes and have really appreiated their love and support.

    My father in law is also an incredible man. Greg Smith is my hubby's dad and he really is an amazing person. For one, he's the father of my amazing hubby and that's an amazing feat! Ha. Since the day I met him, he's made sure I felt part of his family. He's always been so loving and I'm so grateful for that! The first time I ever met him was the summer Justin and I got engaged. We weren't quite there yet but we knew it was happening! Their family is huge on beach volleyball, so we went to play that weekend. He mentioned something about playing in a tournament that weekend and needing another girl so he said he was going to watch me and see how good I was. I spoke up way too soon and said I might be good enough when in fact I was no where close! Anyway, long story short, sfter playing for a while we went swimming and I asked him how well I did and he told me traight up that I sucked! Haha. I know now he was comparing me to girls that were a lot better, but for how much I had played, I was ok. Haha. It was just a wonderful first impression! Ha. I love how honest he always is and has been through out our whole relationship. I love being a a part of their family and he's a big part of that. I'm so grateful for him!

Dad and his 3 sons. :)

     My hubby is going to be a great father one day too. I can't wait to see him with his little kids! They're going to love him more than anything and I know he'll love them too. Everytime there's little kids around, he's the first one to be playing with them. Almost all the time! I love that about him. Our friend's Blake and Nellie just had a little baby and it was really neat to see Blake with his brand new son. I know Justin will look at his babies the same way. I can't wait to see that!

 


My amazing hubby and me!
      Last, but certainly not least, is my own father. Craig Cheney is one of the greatest men I've ever known in my entire life. He's everything any man could ever aspire to be and I will be endebted to him forever. My entire life he's been there for me and I know that will never change. Whenever I have any kind of problem, he's there for me. And it doesn't matter what kind of problem it is. Even if I just need to talk, he's always there to listen. He knows almost everything there is to know about the gospel and can always answer questions. Everyone in my family, on both sides, always calls him when they have questions about anything gospel related. I've heard countless times from different memebers of the family about how they all trust him and look up to him. He's also been incredibly successful in the business world. He's incredibly smart and has always made good decisions that have brought him great success. Everyone i've talked to that knows him in this world always has the best to say about him. It seems that everywhere I look there are people that look up to my dad. I love that about him. There isn't a single person that thinks poorly of him. I've never doubted for a second that my dad loves me and that means the world to me. I'll never be able to pay him back for everything that he's done for me but I know that I'll never have to. I love my dad more than anything in the world! Thank you daddy for being so incredible!


 Me and my Daddy at my wedding. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment